2021 ESG Report Highlights
Our 2021 ESG Report details our performance & strategic climate action, climate resilience, diversity & inclusion, healthy building, & community engagement efforts.
Green. Healthy. Resilient.
Committed to Carbon-Neutral Operations by 2025
- We have committed to achieving carbon-neutral operations, or net-zero carbon dioxide equivalent emissions, by 2025.
- Our emissions reduction target ambition is in line with a 1.5°C trajectory, the most ambitious designation available at the time of submission under the Science Based Targets initiative. BXP was the only North American office company with this distinction at the time of approval.
Board of Directors Sustainability Committee Established
- Our Board of Directors formed a new committee of the Board dedicated to our sustainability activities, including climate action & resilience initiatives.
- The new committee assists the Board of Directors in its risk oversight responsibilities & serves as a direct resource to management.
Diversity & Inclusion Advancements
- We established an internal Diversity & Inclusion Committee, reporting directly to Executive Leadership, to identify & pursue actionable goals & initiatives.
- We identified actionable diversity goals and executed initiatives in the areas of recruitment and development, company policies, and community outreach, while also launching the formation of three Employee Resource Groups for Women, BIPOC/Multi-cultural, and LGBTQ+.
- We continued working with minority-owned businesses to provide commercial real estate space on attractive terms.
Leadership in Healthy Buildings
- We have been leading the adoption of healthy building practices as a Fitwel Champion with 16.7 MSF of certified space.
- BXP is a Best in Building Health award winner for the Most Approved Assets under the Fitwel Viral Response Module, earning asset-level certification at 100% of our actively managed offices.
2021 Awards & Accolades
- Barron’s Ten Most Sustainable Real Estate Investment Trusts in the U.S. – #3
- DJSI North America Index Member
- ENERGY STAR Partner of The Year – Sustained Excellence
- Fitwel Best in Building Health Winner
- Forbe’s Green Growth 50 – #4
- Green Lease Leader – Gold
- GRESB Green Star, 5-star Rating
- MSCI ESG Rating – A
- Newsweek’s America’s Most Responsible Companies – #31
- Sustainalytics Top 6% Global Universe
- 46 Energy Star Certified Properties
- 100% Energy Star Rated Office Portfolio
- 16.7 Million Square Feet Fitwel Certified
- 26.1 Million Square Feet LEED Certified
"These last couple of years have highlighted the need for leadership from real estate in addressing some of the greatest challenges of our time: the climate crisis, health security and social justice. We have a special culture of responsibility at BXP, and we will continue to demonstrate our values by establishing and executing ambitious goals that deliver positive economic, social and environmental outcomes. In partnership with our stakeholders, we can build a better, more prosperous future for all.”
Vice President, Sustainability, BXP